Sacred Hearts Mukumu Girls High School has been closed indefinitely after two students died and 500 others were hospitalized following a suspected food poisoning incident.
Western Kenya Regional Director of Education Jared Obiero confirmed the closure after the students were infected with bacteria after consuming intoxicated food and contaminated water.
“We have unanimously agreed to suspend learning at Mukumu Girls until normalcy is restored,” he said.
The infected students were taken to the Kakamega County General Hospital and the St. Elizabeth Mukumu Hospital, where 28 were admitted and the rest were discharged.
Thanks for choosing WKT. Advertise with us for affordable offers.